Wednesday, September 4, 2013

September Blog Challenge: My Favorite Book



I always have a hard time choosing my favorite book. There are so many I love....but, I will say I remember the one book that made me excited to read, I couldn't get enough and had to then get every single book I could by this author....

Find it on Amazon

This book had been given to me by an older girl I worked with at the YMCA. At the time I was just a "volunteer" learning how to become a counselor. I followed this girl around and was her "assistant". I was 14 at the time and she was 16, we were going to be going to the same high school so she had sort of taken me under her wing, like a little sister. She said I had to read it, when I came home with it my mom was so excited for me to read it because it was one she had read and liked at one point as well. For me at the time I couldn't believe my mom was letting me read it because some of the content is quite scandalous, but it really opened up my world of reading. I had no idea books could be so engaging and didn't have to have surfing, bikinis, and a beach to be interesting! I literally gobbled up anything else by VC Andrews after that, sadly her books aren't what they used to be once a ghost writer took over after her death, but I will cherish the older books written by her and can't wait to introduce them to my own daughter once I feel she is old enough.


As a little side note, there is a website called Forever Young Adult. They have all kinds of hysterical articles on Young Adult Fiction, sometimes going a few chapters at a time through certain books and posting all kinds of hysterical content such as drinking games and whatnot. Go check it out, it is so funny!

What is your favorite book and why? 

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm a pretty avid reader, but I've never read anything by VC Andrews...I'm going to have to check her books out. What are three other VC Andrews books that you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, Flowers in the attic is definitely the best after the rest of the books in that series I would read My Sweet Audrina (which is her only stand alone novel actually written by her), and then the Casteel Series which starts with Heaven. I think those are the best of all that she has written. If you get into her books (the early ones) you won't be able to put them down, they are great!

      Delete
  2. i love me a good scary movie but sadly not a book thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny, see I am the opposite. I can't do scary movies, but books bring 'em on! LOL

      Delete
    2. I don't recall ever reading a scary book. I've pretty much given up on scary movies these days... they aren't really that scary anymore.

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this author before so I will add her to my ones to check out list. Thank you for participating and sharing this book with everyone,
    Karissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Karissa! I am loving this challenge, thanks for hosting it! :)

      Delete
  4. My daughter read all of the VC Andrews books when she was younger. I think I may have read one or two. It's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to read the VC Andrews books too! It is odd that they are really meant for adults, but teenagers are fascinated by them! I read the sequel too I think. Once I realized everyone in those books was sleeping with their parents, siblings or cousins, I kind of stopped reading them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That part was pretty weird, but it was like a train wreck for me, so awful and weird, but I just couldn't look away! hahaha

      Delete
  6. I never really got into VC Andrews. I think it's weird that someone took over when she died. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that was weird too especially because they didn't really make a big deal out of it, at least not that I remember. I think my mom had told me or something, but I remember not finding out until years later when complaining to someone that one certain book just wasn't that "awesome" lol

      Delete