Thursday, August 1, 2013

DIY Cuticle Exfoliator

Good Morning, Beauties!!! I am back again with another fantastic homemade beauty product using the awesome stuff in your pantry!

I got the inspiration for this after being in the mall one day and being drawn to my favorite make-up store in the place. I am obsessed with nail coloring so I of course made my way to that section and was checking out some pretty awesome products. I was very intrigued by the cuticle exfoliator because my nail beds always seem dried out with dead skin. I've sort of solved this problem with my daily cuticle oil, but I've noticed a couple of times a month my nail beds still just need a good scrubbing. So, I decided I was going to buy it. I picked it up, checked the price......................and immediately put it back. There was no way in h-e-double hockey sticks was I paying $20 for this item. Then, I thought some more and picked it up again really struggling with the impulse to pay the $20 for this exfoliator! After about a minute of batting sales people away the light bulb finally came on! I flipped the container over and check that ingredient label. It was a fairly simple label except for the unpronounceable preservatives. I made a quick note in my phone and high tailed it home (like I said, this product spoke to me lol) and came up with this.....


Cuticle Exfoliator
I use this when I am giving myself a full on mani, about twice a month.

1 Tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil*
½ Tablespoon sugar, brown sugar, or coconut sugar
5 drops tea tree essential oil
5 drops lavender essential oil

Combine all in a nice jar. During manicure, after soaking nails apply scrub to cuticles. Gently rub in circular motions to area you want to exfoliate. Don’t be shy, exfoliate the whole finger if you want, it will give you soft skin! Rinse off under warm water.

A note about the oil: I prefer to use coconut oil here as it solidifies just a little bit and makes it easier to grab and massage into your fingers!

A second note about the sugar: I actually prefer the coconut sugar here, it is a little courser than regular sugar or brown sugar and gives a bit more of an intense scrub. 

Don't forget to check out the rest of the this series here.

1 comment:

  1. What do you scrub it with to make sure that the cuticle is fully exfoliated? I tried a toothbrush but it was too soft.

    ReplyDelete