Thursday, February 27, 2014

DIY Beach Ornament

Good Afternoon! 

Today I have a great little craft project. I am talking ornaments today. I know, ornaments?! What the heck?! Well, these are actually ornaments that you could display all year long. They make a great keepsake and the supplies can be gathered while you are on vacation!

This is what you will be making:

Supplies:
  • Sand (can be gathered when on vacation)
  • Glitter (optional)
  • Small Shells (can be gathered when on vacation)
  • Small picture
  • Tweezers
  • Scissors
  • Small funnel
  • Glass ornament bulb
  • Hanger for your ornament
Process:

First, choose the picture you want in your ornament. Have it printed, then shrink it-a lot! I shrunk mine by 50% on to regular printer paper. I wound up being 2" by 2". Seems small, but those bulbs are tiny.
I chose this picture of my daughter with my niece and my nephew on the beach at my parent's beach house in Florida. It's so wonderful the way they were standing holding hands with the oldest in the middle. The picture just makes me smile and lets me remember the fun times we had that summer. Not only does this photo hold great memories, but it is simple. There isn't a ton to look at. The children are the focus and it clearly shows where we are.

Next, take the bulb and remove the top. 


Then, putting the small funnel in the top pour in the desired amount of sand. One very, very, very important thing to remember here is sand is very heavy. So this will add quite a bit of weight to the ornaments, so add it sparingly. I then added a tiny bit of glitter to give the sand some color. Once you have that in there place your finger over the top of the ornament and shake a bit to mix it up.


Now, this part coming up was the most difficult for me, personally.

Take the picture and trim it to desired size. Then, roll it up and put it in the ornament. If you are a perfectionist this is where I apologize to you. Using the tweezers manipulate the photo so it is in the position you would like. At some point you will have to accept that the photo looks good enough positioned a certain way, remember it looks better than you think it does most likely. Once you have it to that point of this looks awesome, using the tweezers gently push the picture into the sand to stabilize it.


Toss in a few tiny shells for some ornamentation.


On the front or back write the year using a sharpie. I sent the final product to a couple of friends (who all live in different places and I sent the messages separately so as not to "taint" the answers) and they unanimously agreed the year actually looked best written across the front...you can see it below.

 You can also add a tag at the top marking the place along with a nice ribbon to hang it from!

This makes a great keepsake for a beach vacation or to give as a gift at-don't kill me for saying it-Christmas!






8 comments:

  1. Excellent idea and it's beautiful! Wish I'd known about this years ago when my sister and I took the kids on vacation to NC. I would have made a ton of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The idea came about as a way to get my mom some beach themed ornaments for her beach house tree! Now it's an idea you can tuck away for later use! ;)

      Delete
  2. Definitely pinning this one for later. Great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this project! Have you eve used mason jars to create memorabilia. Same idea with using photos and objects inside the jar, but some people use oil. Have you tried this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the mason jar thing....YET! haha That sounds super cute, almost like creating a snow globe or something.

      Delete
  4. How do you get the sand to not stick to the glass. Mine sticks and you can't see anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry I am just now seeing this! Are you using glass or plastic ornament? I'd think if it is plastic you have a higher chance of that static happening. If so take everything out, put the sand in a ziploc and freeze it, then wash out the ornament, let it dry, and pour in a little rubbing alcohol and swirl it around pouring out the extra and let it dry and hopefully that will get rid of the static. I hope it turns out well, feel free to post a photo to my Facebook page to let me see how it turns out!

      Delete
  5. How do you get the sand to not stick to the glass. Mine sticks and you can't see anything

    ReplyDelete