Friday, June 28, 2013

First Friday of Summer Vacation!!

Hallelujah!!! It is the first Friday of summer vacation for us! It is so nice to see absolutely nothing show up under my "alarms" section on my phone! Today we are taking it easy. The kiddo had some girlfriends sleepover yesterday, so I am making them some apple turnovers for breakfast along with a fruit salad and a few scrambled eggs. I figured something healthy was in order after yesterday's candy bar......

I had m&m's, lego candy, chocolate disks, gummy bears, gummy worms, and chocolate coins. I put out some whole grain cereal flakes, raisins, almonds, and banana's in a feeble attempt to get something "real" in their bodies, but they were all about the candy lol My kiddo did make herself a trail mix to snack on later in the morning. I am proud to say the didn't gorge themselves, there was enough candy to satiate them during the evening sleep over.

So, after apple turn overs, eggs, and fruit they will be heading down to film some fashion video's, I think my kiddo is doing something for outfits for camp. She goes to camp every year so she tends to be a bit of an expert in that department. After that I think we will just work on finishing up her room. I can't wait to post pictures of the finished product! It's turning out so well! 

Today is also new restaurant Friday. I can't wait to see what we come across today-we're hoping to find a good specialty pizza place! As for the rest of the weekend I think it will just be rest and relaxation. We are just six days away from vacation so we're trying to just relax and enjoy being home. 

Our menu for the weekend has some surf and turf, grilled cheese, homemade donuts, and a new lemon chicken recipe I can't wait to try out! 

But, for now I have an amazing recipe I came up with last week. Thanks to some of the amazing ladies on the cooking board I belong to I had some inspiration and a basic base for the recipe I just embellished a bit...

Bruschetta Chicken
Serves 2-3


All purpose seasoning  or salt & pepper
2 Chicken Breasts, diced
1/2 lemon
1 box Cherry or Grape tomato's
Whole wheat pasta
1.5-2 cups of water
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Stock Powder or Chicken Bouillon
Pan large enough to sautee chicken and cook pasta.

Dice chicken and season with all purpose seasoning or salt and pepper. Squeeze 1/2 of lemon into pan, turn on med-hi heat and add chicken. Coat chicken well in lemon juice and sautee until there is a nice browning on the outside. Cut half of the tomatoes in half and sautee with the chicken.Smash them down a bit. After about 5 minutes add the water and vegetable bouillon. Break the whole wheat pasta (I used roughly a quarter of my box, maybe a hair over) in half or thirds and add to pan. Cover with lid and let simmer until pasta is tender and most of water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Add the other half of the tomato's and let them come to temp with the rest of the food. You can serve as I did above with some Parmesan cheese, cucumbers and onions, and garlic bread.

I hope you all have a great weekend! We have a long weekend coming up so you Canadians out there have  a safe and happy Canada Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment