Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Jeans Recycling Project: Tic-tac-toe


For months now I have been hoarding jeans as I mentioned in my earring hanger I posted a few days ago....well, one little project wasn't going to use up all the jeans I had so I decided to try and make another project. I was slightly dismayed when I discovered I was able to make this and the earring holder (and mess up once on the earring holder) from one pair of jeans...I did wind up using a second pair of jeans to make the game board as I wanted contrasting colours...plus hubby's leg is bigger than mine so it made for a more spacious game board! haha

So...here goes..here is what you'll need:

  • textile glue
  • scissors for cutting the jeans
  • 1-2 pairs of jeans
  • packing peanuts or stuffing
  • Washi tape
  • Twine or ribbon

  1. First, you will take a piece of the jeans and cut it so it is in a rectangle. I then folded it "hamburger" style and cut it in half, now I have two pieces, on one side of each piece it is sealed with the original seam. 
  2. Using the textile glue, glue two of the open sides together, leaving one side open. 
  3. Repeat steps one and two until you have 10 game pieces.
  4. Once the sides are dry begin stuffing with packing peanuts or stuffing. Once it seems full add some glue to the final seam and glue shut.
  5. Using some of the scrap pieces put X on five of the pieces and O on the other five. Let dry.
  6. Using the full leg of jeans that is left cut off a nice large rectangular section (see photos for ideas). On one seam, cut it down the middle so you can now open the leg and have one large rectangular piece.
  7. Using washi tape create the "pound" board in the middle making 9 nice size squares.
  8. To finish off the board trim with washi tape. Add accents as you wish to make it a little stylish.
  9. To create a storage bag cut off more of the leg. Turn it inside out, with textile glue make a seam by glue the "right sides" together. Let dry. Turn right side out.
  10. At the top, fold over by about a quarter to half and in and snip just a tiny cut, repeat all the way around the top of the bag you are creating and lace with twine or ribbon. Put your board and game pieces inside and now you have a cute little travel game.
This is such a cute little game and has brought us lots of fun on these nice days when we walk or bike to the park and can layout having a little picnic. 

What do you do with your old jeans when they are too worn to wear anymore?

Make sure you check out the other projects I've posted during this A to Z Challenge...and check out the other bloggers too at Blogging A to Z!


2 comments:

  1. By the time I'm ready to get rid of a pair of jeans, they're practically unwearable. This is a fun way to use them up, though.

    Stopping by from A to Z.

    John Holton
    Blogging from A to Z 2015 Cohost
    The Sound of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete