Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars Tour of Amsterdam




As many of you know by now The Fault in Our Stars is an amazing book...and if you don't know you should download it and find out. I am a wimp when it comes to possibly sad books. If I am going to engross myself in something I want it to take me to a far away land that has nothing to do with reality. But, thanks to pop culture I just couldn't be left out. I read it, then that made the teenager read it...that and it is set in Amsterdam! Pretty awesome, huh?!

Well, I remember reading somewhere (I can't find the article sadly) that John Green actually got to spend a year in Amsterdam courtesy of a literary association here and thus the book developed. So, seizing the day, the teenager and I decided to do a tour of Amsterdam hitting all the places mentioned in the book that actually existed!


First up was Hotel De Filosoof. If you saw the movie you know this is not where this was filmed. I am sure it is because the place is ancient and I can imagine it would have been difficult to get camera equipment in there...but it is a super cute place to visit....



We didn't go all the way inside as that is a lot of typical Dutch stairs to climb and neither of us were feeling up to it...


But, as you can see from the inside I have no doubt the rooms inside are every bit as unique as described in the book.


The location is just outside the Vondelpark...a very famous park here in Amsterdam.


This park is so beautiful....


We were having such a great time exploring!



They hold a lot of weddings here apparently...this was from the previous weekend. Very colorful, right?! 


I loved this art installation about waste....


As you may or may not know, Oranjee does not actually exist so we decided to stop in a cafe for a typical Dutch lunch...


Remember when Augustus brings Hazel a terrible cheese sandwich when he tells her they are going to Amsterdam?

Well, the Dutch are really keen on sandwiches, but lucky for us they aren't terrible!

I love sandwiches so you can imagine my joy when I learned the Dutch are so keen on a good sandwich...I have them for most meals when we dine out.

After that we decided it was a good time to head over for the movie...this wasn't in the movie but there is a gorgeous theater here called the Tuschinksi...

It is a super unique place to catch a movie especially if you can get in the main theater...

Which sadly we did not...but, it was still a great time!

After the movie it was pretty late in the afternoon/early evening so we decided to head over to the Anne Frank Museum...


I didn't get any pictures of the inside because photos are prohibited. You can take an online tour here though...

The time we went was decent, but we still waited an hour and twenty minutes in line...I hear it can get longer though.

We really enjoyed the tour and were glad John Green gave us some inspiration for a day out in the city!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment