Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fall Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate Recipe

So, we love all things fall flavored. Shockingly the Europeans don't seem to have the same obsession with pumpkin everything that American's do! ha! But, have no fear, for we decided to start concocting our own amazing fall treats!


So, my first recipe that we have been enjoying since a warm front came in and we've been enjoying some 70 degree days is a cold brew coffee concentrate.

The idea came to me when I found this recipe on Pinterest (follow me!).

Of course I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, well, because I have no idea what Clove is in Dutch and the guy at the spice stand had no idea what I was saying and told me everything was in alphabetical order. I looked among all the C's as often times due to Greek and Latin roots the words are close, but saw nothing that looked or smelled like cloves...anywhere in the spice stand...so I had to concoct something else, this is what I came up with.

Fall Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate

5 Cups of filtered water (I honestly just use tap water lol)
1 cup of course ground coffee
2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Teaspoon ground cardamom

Combine coffee grounds and spices in a large container with a lid and mix up a bit. Add 5 cups of water, give a little stir to make sure all grounds are nice and wet by the water, put the lid on and set in the fridge to steep over night or up to 24 hours. This is what it will look like:

What, this doesn't look appetizing to you?! Well, sometimes things need to get a little ugly before they get better...I promise the results are AMAZING!

The next day line a large bowl or pitcher with a cheese cloth and strain the coffee from the grounds. If you strained it into a bowl make sure you put it into a pitcher with a lid:

Don't judge...our kitchen isn't yet equipped with everything so I use the top of a coke bottle for a funnel #nowaste 

See, my funnel is awesome and it successfully got my cold brew from bowl to pitcher...
***that is a recycled juice bottle by the way. Being an expat and trying not to buy extras has made me quite creative!

Once you are done straining your concentrate store in the fridge and it is good for at least a week. This hasn't lasted longer than a week in our house so I can't vouch for it being good for much past that, but you could give it a go!

How we make ours

This is how we assemble our delicious cold brew. One should note, cold brew concentrate is very strong and high in caffeine, so a little goes a long way.

1/2 cup concentrate
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or regular milk
3-4 ice cubes (ours are quite large lol), or to taste
whipped cream

Put ice in your cup, add syrup, concentrate, and milk. Stir, top with whipped cream. Enjoy!



Are you a fan of "fall spiced" items? What is your favorite? Mine seriously is this coffee!






No comments:

Post a Comment