Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Organization: Deep Clean: Bedrooms

Wow, first off how many colons do you think I could have used in that title...I was trying to see if I could fit anymore, but they didn't make sense, sadly. 

Anyway...I am talking more Organization today. Who would have thought one little stock app like "Reminders" would become such a great tool in my household organization. 

I started this series with my cleaning power hour and added to it with my morning and evening routines. I have had these two written down for years but often forget to do them because a written planner doesn't buzz for me. I need something that makes a noise and physically reminds me to do a task. So, in comes Reminders.

Today I begin breaking down the deep down cleaning I focus on each week. Years ago when I was a new homemaker I found Flylady. This woman really helped me get my butt in gear and figure out how to break household tasks down into manageable lists and get productive with them. So, I am going to share with you those tasks I perform each week to keep my house in what I call move out shape.

What is move out shape? Well, since we are renters and tend to be a bit nomadic, moving every 1-3 years if I were to box up our stuff and move it out tomorrow our house would be ready for an inspection and pass. Over the years I have found that 15-20 minutes everyday saves me hours upon hours in the future. 

Last week I was focusing on the bedrooms in the house. This list can be done for both bedrooms, at the beginning of each day I check the list and add whatever chore on to the kiddo's list of chores for the day for her room. She is old enough now that she can complete these tasks, plus they will help give her an idea of what will need to be done to keep her home clean someday.


I picked week 3 of the month to do my bedroom. Here is what is on my list:
  • Monday: Dust Baseboards, moving furniture when possible
  • Tuesday:
    • Clean mattress
      • Using a mixture of baking soda and lavender sprinkle over mattress and let sit for half an hour. Using vacuum attachment, vacuum up.
    • Fluff pillows
      • Put pillows, one at a time, in dryer on high heat with a dryer sheet to fluff and disinfect. After, spray with water/lavender mixture or tantra spritz from Saje.
    • Fluff comforter
      • Put comforter, with dryer sheet, in dryer on high for 20-30 minutes. 
  • Wendesday: Dust ceiling
    • Using a broom with a microfiber cloth around the bristles, held in place with a large rubber band, dust around the corners and edges of where the ceiling meets the wall.
  • Thursday: Deep down vacuum, steam clean if necessary
    • Vacuum at the edges of the baseboards, get in the corners, under the bed. If needed spot clean stains or drag out the steam cleaner for well worn areas of carpet.
  • Friday: Project planning 
    • Look around, what needs to be improved or worked on? 
  • Saturday & Sunday: Project execution
    • Declutter closets if needed, take clothes to donation, fix worn clothing, do any other organization type projects at this time.
Tuesday is a very busy day. I do all that stuff for the bedroom on Tuesday as that is the same day I wash all the sheets as part of my weekly "power hour" that I do a day late. Weird I know, but it works for me. 

It took me a long time to come up with this system and really figure out the best way to keep our small space spic & span all the time. It's still a work in progress but this keeps me a little more sane and focused. 






7 comments:

  1. I cleaned/organized my bedroom this last weekend. I can actually walk in my walk-in closet again lol.

    I learned a valuable lesson too: Don't use the brush roller if you are going to vacuum your mattress. You will end up with a hole in your mattress and you will have to put duct tape over it, further cementing your Redneck status. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Girl, you are hilarious! I use a brush, but it doesn't have a roller thing in it....

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing some great tips. I like your non-chemical cleaning - I believe in cleaning green and living green. Have a wonderful healthy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Marla! Glad you enjoyed the article. I do as well, we don't use any harsh chemicals anymore and haven't for years!

      Delete
  3. These are fantastic tips, Kate. I really, really need a cleaning routine, and this sounds very doable! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I am glad you found it useful. The part I find most useful is that my reminder app goes off and dings to actually get my attention! hehe

      Delete
  4. I want to echo Dee above. Excellent tips and very doable! I work full-time outside my home and this type of cleaning schedule is exactly what I need - a little bit each day. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete