Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Flawless by Jan Moran

This is a novel I had been wanting to read and was so lucky to win it back in the fall during the Travel the World in Books Read-a-Thon with Mom's Small Victories and others.

I wanted to read this one because it takes place in Los Angeles and Paris, two places I love. Like I told you all in my Totaled review I love reading books based on places I have been so I can imagine myself walking down the street or sitting in a cafe with the characters.


Excerpt of Summary from Goodreads:
"There's always a hostile side to beauty." - Jan Moran

Verena Valent is at the helm of her family's legendary Swiss skincare company, which caters to a glamorous clientele in the heart of Beverly Hills. After her parents are killed in an automobile accident, she becomes the sole provider for her younger twin sisters and her grandmother. Instead of attending college with her friends as planned, she rises to the challenge to guide and expand her family's business. She is in the midst of a critical international expansion into Asia when her carefully organized life begins to unravel.

When the unthinkable occurs and Verena's world collapses, her friends rally around her, among them Scarlett Sandoval, a top intellectual property attorney; Dahlia DuBois, a perfumer from an esteemed line of French perfumers; and Fianna Fitzgerald, a fashion designer with her own trendy boutique.

Ultimately, Verena learns that truth, family, friendship, and love are the unshakable pillars of life. But will she get a second chance in business, or in love?

Aside from the setting, the other things that I loved about this book were the strong female leads. The main character, Verena was smart and talented yet still vulnerable. Her friends seemed to be the other side of her personality looking out for her best interest seeing what she could not. Together these women made one heck of a team. I also enjoyed the back story of the book; an heiress to a beauty fortune forged by her relatives from Switzerland. She took over to keep the family dream alive. It is so far from my reality that stories like this fascinate me, and are a nice escape when I want to relax.

All-in-all, this book was a really quick read and definitely worth the time. 


2 comments:

  1. I love reading books set in places I've been as well! My favorite novels are set in London because I really enjoy all things British. Twilight was also a fun read for me since part of it was set in Phoenix, where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed this book from the Travel the World in Books Readathon. I like these kind of books that are totally different from what my life is like too, a true book to escape into. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup and hope you join us again this weekend! Pinning to our linkup board.

    ReplyDelete