Thursday, April 2, 2015

B is for...Breakfast Center

Breakfast, the most important meal of the day. Seriously, one that should not be skipped for any reason. But, so many people do because they just don't have time. Well, this breakfast center I created has really helped do away with the morning rush in our house.



My teenager had been starting to skip out on breakfast because I wake up a little later than her and she couldn't decide what to put together for herself for breakfast....so, I decided to nip that in the bud and make it so she could see what easy, quick breakfast fixings we had on hand that she could make herself without much work.

I also realized after having some company that if I wasn't cooking breakfast that morning our guests needed a spot to see what exactly was available for easy to make breakfast items.

I keep it well stocked:

On the left are our tea fixings. We have a few friends that aren't coffee drinkers, and I like tea to flavor my water since I don't really drink much outside of water.

In the middle I keep some powdered greens and raw cacao powder to put into smoothies or oatmeal. I also keep spreads here, right now all we have is peanut butter-pure peanut butter no salt, oil, or sugar added-and pure creamed coconut. My secret of the creamed coconut is it is the same texture as coconut butter but it is waaaaaaaay cheaper....the only ingredient is coconut. I also keep some powdered sugar around in case anyone wants to sprinkle it on their pancakes or waffles. I have some just regular processed table syrup but pure maple syrup as well. I store my banana's in here along with oranges, I've found everyone is likely to grab one of those if they are in there. I also keep a loaf of Whole Wheat bread and a loaf of raisin nut bread.

On the right I have some Frosted Flakes-Frosties here-for the husband and the kiddo when it tickles her fancy, which shockingly isn't often. We have two types of granola for just munching or topping smoothie bowls. We of course have some Hagelslaag. We usually have a dark chocolate one but the kiddo bought this when she went to the store for me. Hagelslaag are Dutch sprinkles and the are very popular for putting on toast here. I thought it was just a kids thing, but I have had plenty of adults confess it is still their go-to breakfast. In the basket is butter and oatmeal; when I'm feeling ambitious it contains my homemade instant oatmeal packets, I've been making these for almost 14 years now. These are a serious money saver.
Instant Oatmeal Packets

Cinnamon Brown Sugar

  • 1/4 cup oatmeal
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    • Combine in one bag. 
    • Instructions: add 1/2 cup water or milk of choice, heat in microwave at 30 second intervals until done to desired thickness.
This recipe is just my base, I change up the sugars, add dried fruit. The options for making these packets are limitless. Use your imagination and have fun creating any easy treat anyone can cook up!

Also, in the basket I have some recipe cards. These are easy mug recipes that take less than 10 minutes from prep to table.

Tell me, what is your favorite breakfast food?
Mine is waffles, especially Belgian ones where I can fill every hole of the waffle with syrup. Nom.

4 comments:

  1. Such a smart idea for a teenager! I used to regularly skip breakfast in high school. Instead, I bought a bottled Frappucino and 2 pack of Double Fudge Grandmas cookies during my second period. What was I thinking??! My stomach turns at the thought of eating that regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, JoAnn, that makes my stomach churn too of course we had a McD's by our high school and we always used to pull through the drive through and get two McMuffins each...no wonder I had such bad heartburn and stomach issues through high schoool! hahaha

      Delete
  2. That is a great idea! Something like this could be wonderful for my husband! I'm trying to get him to eat breakfast more regularly. As for myself, I tend to make several different oatmeal bakes and freeze them and just pull them out as I need in the mornings.

    Mary @ Willoughby Editing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on trying to get the husband to eat breakfast regularly, mine is awful about it. I love oatmeal bakes, they are delicious when served with a little dollop of yogurt almost like dessert for breakfast ;)

      Delete